Road trips can be great bonding experiences, and they allow you to take in your surroundings from the convenience of your vehicle. Really, all that is standing between you and the country you live in is a vehicle, the gas to fuel it, and the time to make it happen. However, there are a few things to keep in mind before any road trip for a safe and stress-free travel experience.
Before you hit the road, take your car for a pre-trip check at your local car shop. Many places offer this service for free. After your car checks out, make sure you have these items prepped for your trip:
- Jump Start Battery Pack: Gone are the days of needing to push your car for a jump start. Now you can buy a battery pack the size of a small book to revive your car battery, laptop, or phone. Just make sure you fully charge the battery before you go! Throw in a pair of jumper cables as a backup.
- First Aid Kit: You can buy a pre-stocked kit at Target or Walmart. Make sure to add an extra supply of any prescription medications needed.
- Maps: Make sure you have a backup option for navigation in case your normal GPS stops working. Buy an atlas and highlight your route for a souvenir that is both practical and retro.
Goodies for Foodies
- Healthy Bites: Snap peas, carrots, apple slices, dried fruit, and nuts are great for easy snacking in the car.
- Yummy bites: It’s okay to stock up on a few of your favorite treats as well, such as gummies, favorite chips, chocolate, and string cheese- just monitor how much sugar you’re consuming, as the calories can really add up.
- Hydration Station: Bring plenty of water to avoid dehydration and superfluous pit stops at rest stations.
- Mixtape: Create a playlist of your favorite tunes. You can curate music based on the landscape, famous musicians from the area you are driving through, or have a friend create a list for you.
- Podcast: If you haven’t listened to Serial yet, it’s time to download all the episodes. “This American Life,” “The Moth,” and hundreds more can fill your mind and heart as you take in the scenery.
- Audio Books: Download them or check them out from the local library. Or make your navigator be your live reader!
- Fuzzy Blanket: Someone is always freezing while everyone else is burning up.
- Slip Off Shoes: Set your feet free in the car!
- Pillow: Take a nap or adjust your back for more comfort.
- Earplugs and Eye Pillow: Only for passengers! Tune out all the others so you can get some rest before your shift driving.
- License Plates: Keep a list and see if you can find all fifty states or provinces and territories.
- Car Bingo: Buy or make your own!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and have a great trip!